BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 25, 2011

Celebrating Daniel, Turkey Trotting, and Much Thanksgiving

Our Thanksgiving tradition three years running is to get up in the cold and dark and go run a 5K. Sounds fun, right? :) It actually turns out to be a great time. This year was warmer than last year - yea! - and we had Abigail joining us for the 5K. The other kids ran the 1/2 mile kids' fun run. For the last two years, we've gathered with our friends the Rasheeds to run together. We usually see some of the same people gather with THEIR families, and we love the camaderie of a good race with the prospect of good food later. The race also reminds us of just one more thing we're thankful for -good health and the ability to teach our kids to be active. Here are the fun runners with our friend Jhael:
Adah came in fourth overall!! She always looks pained when she runs, and either her stomach or her head hurts right after she runs a race. :( She's still willing to do it, but I'm trying to find a way to alleviate this. We thought it was dehydration, but she was WELL hydrated for this race. I think her body is just working so hard that there are after-effects. :) She doesn't feel like this when we train in the neighborhood, just for races. Hmm.

Shiloh was taking pictures, and she accidentally pressed the "off" button as Jackson was approaching the finish line. Here are Cora and Nathaniel smiling their way to the finish line, though:
Next up was the 5K. Daniel hadn't had much of an opportunity to train for the race, so his only goal was to try to stay with Shiloh. :) Shiloh has experienced a bit of a confidence crisis with her running lately, so if she finished strong we would count it a success. Well, the picture can attest to the fact that she finished strong - both her feet are off the ground! :) She also ended up getting third place for her age group! That was a great boost to her confidence. Daniel's time was only 1 minute slower than last year, so he was really pleased. (He also looks pained at the finish; he's making a face much like Adah's. :) )
I ran with Abigail, and boy, was I impressed with that dynamo! She ran a smart race, not starting out too fast or too slow. We made small goals during the race of picking people to pass and then running to catch them. She listened to my iPod and decided when she needed a little "Eye of the Tiger" to motivate her. She ran the whole way and decided that we would beat a little boy who was walking and then sprinting when we caught him. :) (We did beat him.) She ended up getting 31:00 for the 5K - a GREAT first time for an eight year-old! I was so proud of how hard she tried.
Pictures taken after we enjoyed bagels from Panera Bread:
After showering, the kids decided they couldn't wait any longer for Daniel to open his birthday gifts. Shiloh took the pictures, which is why she's not in the one with the kids (I was getting the turkey ready to go in the oven!):
Daniel's checking out the book that my mom and stepfather got him - he was really intrigued!
Daniel likes the pants I got him from LLBean (he's easy to please!).
We ran out of camouflage wrapping paper, so he got Christmas paper. :)
I love this man! I'm so thankful God decided to have us go through this life together. I appreciate him so much more than the day we married, and we're definitely having more fun now than we did when we first got married! :) It's amazing to see firsthand the power of God in someone's life as I have seen it in Daniel's. I hope I get to celebrate his birthday with him for many years to come.
Adah decided to use the bow from Daniel's present to create a festive hairstyle:
Shiloh decorated our table for Thanksgiving. It was just our family for the holiday, which was quiet and lovely (strange, but nice).
Shiloh wanted to show off the placecards she made from printing out the pumpkins online. :)
Abigail is dressed up as a Bavarian pilgrim?? We're confused...
Getting the turkey ready:
This is what happens when you give Abigail the camera - she takes pictures of thing like the turkey carcass. What a strange child. :)
Chatting with Daniel while he cleans up. I LOVE it when he cleans up. :) He and the kids went for a walk around the block while I baked another dozen cookies and then we headed over to the neighbors' house for pie and ice cream. What a blessed, lovely, restful Thanksgiving. We loved looking back at our "Thanksgiving book" to see what the kids said they were thankful for in past years. Indeed, we have much for which to thank the Lord.
Today we're enjoying a quiet day of rest and leftovers (after a little Black Friday shopping with Shiloh for her hope chest!) and putting up Christmas stuff! :) Christmas music makes me happy.

0 comments: