I sent the girls out to get some pictures around our house, and this is what they came up with. The petunias are Cora's flowers:
This is our pink crepe myrtle. We had it planted in the spring along with a Japanese Maple close to the house, and the crepe myrtle is just now blooming.
Isn't this planter cute? A lady at Lowe's helped me when I was standing in the garden department looking utterly befuddled.
Shiloh picked out a gardenia bush, and although it's small and a little spindly right now, it's produced about six beautiful, fragrant blossoms. I hope it survives!
We got this vinca for free at our neighborhood's block party. The landscapers were giving it away. I was going to grab more, but I thought it would be too greedy.
Shiloh picked out a gardenia bush, and although it's small and a little spindly right now, it's produced about six beautiful, fragrant blossoms. I hope it survives!
We got this vinca for free at our neighborhood's block party. The landscapers were giving it away. I was going to grab more, but I thought it would be too greedy. I should have grabbed more. :)
There's a green pepper peeking through:
Happy basil from which I made pesto for chicken pesto pizza. Yum!
Some tomatoes almost ready to pick:
Our overgrown garden now as it gets a little leggy. :)
I bought strawberry plants at the end of the season for .99 each because the salesperson said they should come back next year. Well, they've produced a few yummy strawberries this year as well.
We don't have a picture of the rogue watermelon that's growing in the garden as well. We planted seeds from a watermelon from the grocery store, and it's actually growing THREE watermelons right now. Honestly, I am NOT NOT NOT a green thumb. I have no idea how this is happening this year. It's pretty cool to see, and the kids love checking on the garden every day to see what's ready to pick. I've even made bread and butter pickles from the cucumbers (although I cut up WAY too many - I forgot that the recipe would be referring to pickling cucumbers when it called for 14 - not regular-sized cucumbers :) ).
This is our garden this year! We have learned many lessons about gardening, and the number one lesson is that CUCUMBERS DO NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS. Our cucumber plant (yes, this is ONLY ONE) took over the garden and choked out one of the tomato plants. Next year it's going on the other side of the step from the garage ALL BY ITSELF.
Here is a side view of the garden along the house. It seems to like its new location this year! Last year when the garden was in the backyard, we only got two good cucumbers, no Roma tomatoes, and no peppers. The only thing that produced was the grape tomato plant.
0 comments:
Post a Comment