We had definite confirmation last night that all the kids from the creche are safe at Dr. Bernard's guesthouse up in the mountains out of Port-au-Prince. They have food and water for now, but that will be a problem as time goes on. The way this all came about is just miraculous. Brent Gambrell Ministries had just dropped off a 21 year-old intern at New Life Link orphanage a few weeks ago. Her name is Katie, and her parents (who work for Brent Gambrell Ministries) are adopting a little girl named Tia from New Life Link. When the earthquake happened, Brent and Katie's parents tried to make contact with Katie. They eventually did and learned that she and the nannies had moved all the kids (about 50 of them - newborns up to 6 years old) to a nearby church that was only one-story and therefore safer. Their building sustained damage, though, so they couldn't return. I heard second-hand that they were able to get back in to get some food and formula. I saw a clip where they made contact with Katie and urged her to keep Tia safe and that they would be coming to get her as soon as possible. WHICH THEY DID. Somehow Brent and the dad got into Haiti, found Dr. Bernard who had managed to get a school bus over to the kids. (That would be the miraculous part - that they managed to connect in the midst of the chaos AND carry out a plan.) They got ALL the kids on the bus and drove them out of Port-au-Prince. The bus broke down and the kids waited on the bus for 3 hours, but they eventually made it to the guesthouse and EVERYBODY is okay!! Meanwhile, 20/20 contacted one of our adoptive families, the Brownells, who have THREE little boys waiting for them in the creche. (Who knows how they got their contact info?) They have already adopted twice through New Life Link and have three girls. Amy was beside herself with worry over her boys. 20/20 said they would get a team there to try to find the kids. Well, THEY DID and they were able to show Amy that the kids and Dr. B were okay by Skype last night on the show. I didn't see the show last night, but here's the clip: (yeah - better watch with Kleenex)
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=9567433
How awesome is that? I mean, how utterly incredible is it that all the pieces fell into place to get those kids into a safe place?!? We are praising God for His mercy today.
And how many more children need help right now? We still haven't heard anything about the sister orphanage, Hope for the Children of Haiti, other than the fact that the kids are all okay. They should be getting up to Dr. Bernard's house as well, but I don't know when/if that will happen.
Here are the ministries that I could recommend supporting, because what Haiti needs most of all right now is MONEY. I hate to put it like that, but they can't handle people coming down to help unless they speak Kreyol or have medical experience. The average person can't very well ship diesel to them either. :)
http://www.realhopeforhaiti.org/ This is a clinic run by two American sisters and their father. They do incredibly HARD, draining work, and they are in the thick of it now with people streaming in from Port-au-Prince. If you click on their blog, be warned that after the first couple of pictures of damage, there are pictures of some of the injuries. If you're squeamish, don't click there.
http://www.heartlineministries.org/ (I think they have a separate donation page to click on. Missionaries that we follow, the Livesays, work for this organization) You can follow the Livesays at http://www.livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/
http://www.hfchaiti.org/ Our sister orphanage to New Life Link - they will need funds to feed the children and start to rebuild both orphanages
Of course, you can always donate to Red Cross. Donate any amount, even if it's only $5. What does it cost us? The most wealthy nation in the world? Besides giving up a little bit of comfort one day? What does it profit them? It may be the difference between life and death.
Praising God and continuing to pray-
Casey
Friday, January 15, 2010
Praises!
Posted by Casey at 4:45 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Casey,
Praise God for this good news! We will be lifting up praises in family worship tonight!
Heather
Oh, and thanks for the links- I trust your judgment!
Okay- you need LOTS of Kleenexes!
I love to keep up with your family through this blog. I miss you all. But I wanted to thank you for your links to help Haiti through contacts you have there. With the ever present threat of internet scams, it is nice to know these organizations are receiving funds directly.
Much love, Laura & girls
Laura-
I just sent a newsletter to your APO address that's probably no longer good. :) I know you're here in the States...is Steve here, too? Can you email me your address so I can send a newsletter and picture to you?
I didn't even know you read the blog. :)
Love,
Casey
Post a Comment