And both of the above came from Abigail. :) Abigail is very blog-worthy these days, I must say. Here's the story:
I took Adah out on a "date" last Saturday. After eating lunch, we ended up - where else? - at Walmart. I had to run some errands, and she had $4 of her very own money burning a whole in her very cute purse. She considered her options carefully, asked me about fifteen times, "Can I get this thing AND this thing?" and finally decided on a purple camera and a Princess Bride coloring book. (Not THE "Princess Bride," just a princess getting married, and in Adah's book, that's perfection indeed.) p.s. Am I getting a little wordy here? :)
Anyhoo, I told her that because she bought these things with her own money, she did not have to share them. However, I encouraged her to do so. Later I heard Abigail ask if she could color in the coloring book, and Adah quickly offered the camera to her. Abigail was content with that. Adah did offer the coloring book to Shiloh, however.
Here was Abigail's observation to me after bathtime that evening:
"You know, Mommy, how those pesky raccoons come into cornfields and peel the corn and take a little bite out of EVERY piece of corn and then all the corns are ruined? You know about that? Well, I think I'm like that with Adah's coloring book. If she lets me color, I will just color a little bit of every page, and then the whole coloring book will just have little bits of coloring, and I don't think Adah would like that. So I decided I would play with the camera. That's okay, right, Mommy? You know what I'm talking about with those raccoons, huh?" And I nodded and said yes, I knew about those raccoons and that I was happy she was content with the camera. I also suggested that we would get her her own coloring book where she could color little bits of pages to her heart's content. :) Sometimes (very often!) you just don't see these conversations coming, do you?
Love,
Casey
p.s. I have a big photo post coming from our visit with mentors from West Point. We had 13 children under our roof last Monday. FUN! :)
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
A Self-Realization and a Metaphor
Posted by Casey at 12:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hmmm... I think we have a few racoons around here and the need to teach them not to be so!
Abigail demonstrated a great deal of maturity and self awareness. A beautiful gift from God ~
Casey, I just finished reading your blog and looking at the pics of your sweet family and the Haiti websites.
Wow, you have such a writing talent. The Haitian prayer brought me to tears this morning. In the USA we are all so caught up in the stockmarket crash, the price of gas and groceries and then you see these pictures and realize what little Adah, Nathaniel, and the children lived through. As a country and a people, we don't need to whine ANYMORE!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your pictures, stories and insights with us! I pray that God will bless you abundantly in all areas--physically, emotionally, financially -- anything you need, may he meet it ten times ten!
You have an open invitation to visit Memphis with the children at anytime! We have plenty of room. You can introduce the kiddos to Elvis and Graceland :-).
Love,Marie
Post a Comment