BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wha?

One of the sweetest, most endearing things I've found about adopting older children is that the biological siblings will implant the adopted siblings into all of their memories. Very often Abigail will say, "Do you remember when we went to that place, Adah? Do you remember how fun it was?" and I'll have to say, "She wasn't home from Haiti yet, sweetie. She wasn't there." And Abigail will insist that she was, that she remembers her being there (and then she usually asks Adah if she remembers being there, too - because she's contrary like that).

Jackson gave us a twist on this infusion of memories the other night. I saw a picture posted on Facebook of a friend's new adopted daughter - a real cutie about 6 months old with big eyes, HUGE cheeks, and LOTS of hair pulled up into two puffballs. I called Adah over to look at the picture because she loves anything to do with babies. I told her I thought she must have looked like this little girl when she was a baby because this little girl was so adorable and she had such beautiful big eyes, etc. Jackson was there when Adah replied, "I wish I had some picture of me when I was a baby. Or a picture of my mom." (yes - talk about a stab through my heart for my poor girl who longs to have that piece of her history and identity :( ) Anyway, Jackson says, "Of course we have pictures of when you were a baby. We have pictures of when you were in the hospital with Mommy. We just have to find them."

Adah and I looked at each other. Adah started laughing. Jackson realized what he had done and his ears got FLAMING red. Adah says, "You know I didn't come from Mommy, right?" Jackson walked away quickly, muttering, "Right. Right."

After I told Daniel that night what had happened and we both laughed, I almost cried. Because how beautiful is that?
*sniff* My knuckle-headed boy and my beautiful Haitian-born girl - gifts of God, that's for sure. Even if one didn't come from me. :)

0 comments: