Oh, my word, has it been memory lane around here today. So, because we've been so caught up in reminiscing, I thought I'd bring you along, too. On this day twelve years ago Shiloh Elizabeth entered our lives, forever changing them for the better. Twelve years old seems like such a milestone! I'm so thankful for that little tiny girl who has grown into a beautiful young lady, inside and out. We chose Shiloh's name because it means "God's gift" or "God's rest." We were told by doctors at one point that it was very unlikely that we would have any biological children (boy, when they're wrong, they're REALLY wrong :) ). I remember one specific day in Colorado Springs when we had a possible birthmom pull out of an initial meeting for an adoption and that very same day I got a call from my college roommate telling me that she was pregnant. It was a hard day, and we cried out to the Lord. He comforted us with the knowledge that He was still a good God no matter what happened with our family. Little did we know I was already pregnant. Remember that call at 3:00 a.m. with the news, Mom?
Here I am THE MORNING of the 24th. Daniel liked this outfit, so he made me pose before church. My water broke AS I SAT DOWN TO CHURCH. Yes, I was one of those people you have heard about. :)
Here we are as a family of three! I love birth stories, but many people don't, so I'll keep to myself. :) Here is the short version: we went to the hospital, I had to tell Daniel to turn off the football game on TV and stop talking theology with Jan Dragoo, then we had a baby at 6:07 p.m. and p.s. Daniel didn't faint. Then he went out and got me a Frosty with fries because that's what I wanted. :)
Proud Daddy who missed being honor grad at his advanced course because Shiloh's early arrival (4 weeks) coincided with a major test. Sorry, honey - babies have their own schedule!
Even though Shiloh was only 4 lbs., 15 oz. when she was born, she was healthy and eating well so they let us go home on schedule. Notice our young, happy, alert faces? That would soon change when we realized that Shiloh never intended to sleep - EVER.
Daddy gives Shiloh her first bath. Up until she was six months old, she could fit into the basin that the hospital gave us. She loved that basin and would fall asleep in it at bathtime. Yeah - she slept in a BASIN and would not sleep in her bed. It's a good thing the Lord gives us amnesia about these things.
Shiloh meets Oma!!! Oma will tell you that it was a little scary seeing her for the first time because she was so little and I had her out in public. She was born to be a grandma.
Shiloh in all her cuteness. I loved it when we finally found some preemie girly outfits (we lived in Sierra Vista, which only boasted a Wal-mart at the time).
Look how little she was! She was about three weeks old here.
When Shiloh was three weeks old, we went to visit Daniel's West Point classmate in Phoenix. His wife, Stephanie, was a much better photographer and took this great picture. The Crandalls had the first "class baby" about 9 months and 3 days after their wedding (on graduation day), so they had two children by this point. I'm pretty sure they just laughed at our ineptitude, but they were kind to our faces. :)

2 comments:
Oh, my. Our beloved Shiloh, the little one who transformed us from mere mortals into grandparents. We are so grateful. Happy birthday, dear Shiloh. We love you just the way you are, we love you no matter what, and we love you forever.
Opa & Oma
Happy Birthday, Shiloh!!!!!
We love the pictures of you and your Mom and Dad! Just precious!
You know what? Anna was not a big sleeper either. :-)
May the LORD bless your 12th year with many joy filled days!
A big birthday hug to you, Shiloh!!
Post a Comment