BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 10, 2011

Basketball

We've entered Cora's basketball season with their first game held last Saturday. She's participating in Upward Bound basketball, and so far we have the highest praise for the program. They seem to be very well-organized with a solid foundation. The kids memorize Scripture verses and have a devotional every week during practice. There is an emphasis on good sportsmanship and Christ-likeness. We like her coach, who is matter-of-fact with them, encouraging and urging them to do their best. Cora's team is the Boilermakers, and they ended up winning their first game 18-10. Cora's strength so far seems to be on the defensive where she stuck to her girl like glue (making the girl run around in circles getting frustrated :) ). She had a couple of good passes and two shots that didn't make it in. She doesn't yet understand the finer rules of the game, but that will come with experience. In the meantime, it was a great start to the season and VERY fun for us to watch. The pace of the game, the athleticism, and the level of ball-handling was much better than I expected. We had a good time watching Cora have such a good time. :)
This first photo was taken before the game when they announce the players' names. How fun for the kids to hear their names announced! They keep the teams small so that they have a lot of time to play in each game.
This second picture was taken after the game. This is Cora's good friend, Ava, who showed us an entirely different side to herself in the game! Normally, she's really giggly, sweet, and fragile-looking. In actuality, she's REALLY SCRAPPY and I would not want to mess with her in a basketball game. After the game, she reverted back to her normal self. I am thankful that the Lord has provided such a good friend for Cora - a girl that I love having in our home and whose family I'm happy to know.




Here's to a great start to the season! I'm sure updates will follow. :)

2 comments:

Tully Family said...

That looks like a lot of fun. Near our church, their is the same program & we've wondered what is was like. Please keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo for Cora! It may be time to give Pat Summit a heads-up about a future Lady Vol.
Not that I'm biased. ;-)