BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Boys

I had heard that boys can sometimes be reluctant readers.  I found that to be the case with Jackson.  Although he LOVED books, he preferred to be read TO, not to read a book on his own.  There have been brief glimpses of the reader he would become - the Sam Cooper Adventure Series comes to mind, and anything related to weapons, warfare, or hunting, but generally he prefers to skim and look at pictures.  I decided that I wouldn't push it but that I would continue to offer good reading material while I continued to read to him.  Yesterday afternoon he decided he would like to read The Hobbit.  He's only eight.  Never one to discourage an interest in reading, I gave it to him.  He's on Chapter 7 today, and he's laughing at Bilbo's antics and reading parts out loud to his siblings and me.

Thank you, Mr. Tolkien.  If I didn't think you were a genius before, I definitely think so now. :)

2 comments:

Ray Kimball said...

Casey, consider Lloyd Alexander's "Taran" books, starting with The Book of Three. Similar themes as Tolkien, and the protagonist is a young man trying to get a sense of his way in the world.

Casey said...

Thanks, Ray! I always welcome suggestions for my boys, since my knowledge is limited to "Little Women," "Heidi," and "The Little Princess." Not exactly thrilling reading for an eight-year old boy! Loved reading about Mindy's adventures, by the way - what an awesome opportunity!!