BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 05, 2008

Plan C

Well, what with all the hurricanes and tropical storms this year, a beach trip planned for September was really NOT a good idea. Also, counting on having a lifeguard on the beach on a military installation after Labor Day was not a good assumption. Thus we discarded Plan A for our vacation - a return to the Dam Neck Annex cottage on the beach where we went last year. Plan B involved extending a planned day trip to Williamsburg into a vacation in Williamsburg where we would see Yorktown and Jamestown as well. Ditto for the weather situation, plus we would need a vacation from the vacation. Plan C is a cabin in West Virginia. I think we're safer on higher ground. And Roscoe gets to go with us! We have river access, a hot tub, a hammock, a screened-in porch, and several acres. That sounds relaxing. We go on Monday, and I'm so looking forward to it. The kids are ready for a break after a rigorous seven weeks of school.

We start our vacation tonight with our homeschool co-op picnic. Cora has already made two friends after only one class at co-op (yep, that's our Cora) so she's looking forward to seeing them tonight. Along with games, a picnic, and fellowship, they're having a nature hike to identify trees, which I thought would be pretty interesting. Our first day of co-op was this past Tuesday, and it was a smashing success. Yes, I took a picture of the kids on the steps like the dorky mother I am, but I haven't downloaded it yet. The kids protested the dorkiness, but I did it anyway. Cora, Adah, and Abigail are taking P.E., Shiloh is taking a needlework class, and Jackson is taking a preschool class. Nathaniel is taking the "play on the playground" class. :)

At the same time that I'm rejoicing in the Lord's blessings to our family - we're happy, healthy, and safe, and we have the means to take a vacation, my heart is heavy over the situation in Haiti and the devastation there. I've been following accounts from missionaries there, and I can't help but think of Adah's birthdad and Nathaniel's birthmom. How are they doing? Do they have a safe place to go if the floods affect them? Will they be able to receive the pictures and updates I send down in December about how well the kids are doing? Here are some links I got from another friend's blog (thanks, Julie!) with some pictures of Haiti and the orphanage (creche) that served as our children's home for two years (over two years for Adah, 2 months less than two years for Nathaniel). This photographer traveled to take pictures to promote support for Hope for the Children of Haiti, the orphanage/school for the older kids that at one time shared a building with New Life Link, the creche for younger kids. We didn't take too many pictures out and about in Haiti both because we were shellshocked at what we saw and because we were so focused on the kids. These pictures give you an idea of what we saw when we went.

http://kristaphoto.blogspot.com/2008/08/haiti.html

http://kristaphoto.blogspot.com/2008/08/hfc-school.html

http://kristaphoto.blogspot.com/2008/08/hfc-life-at-pension.html

http://kristaphoto.blogspot.com/2008/08/hope-for-children-of-haiti-boys.html

http://kristaphoto.blogspot.com/2008/06/back-from-haiti.html

The last link shows the area where the creche is located (actually, they just moved the younger kids to a nicer location). We had to leave the truck we took, go through a heavy iron gate, and then walk down an alleyway like the one pictured to get to the creche. Adah remembers how hard it was to walk down because the rocks were so loose. She remembers the hallways pictured in the first link and having her hair done, and she remembers one of her teachers. She liked her very much. :) Our orphanage director was going to move the younger kids way up the mountain to the building next to the guesthouse (a VERY nice place where we stayed) but most of the nannies couldn't commute up there. It was a little more than an hour out of town. He wanted to keep the nannies with the kids for bonding purposes, so he moved them to another building he bought. In our American eyes, the orphanage looks horrible, but for Haiti, it's excellent care. They have three meals a day, they go to school, they have solid shelter, and they are clothed. But don't those babies' faces just tear your heart apart?? Phew.

Here is a Haitian prayer I also borrowed from a friend's blog (thanks, Ange! :)).
“Senye,
Si n’ap viv jodi a malgre
siklon, grangou, ak maladi,
nou dwe di,
Mesi Senye.
Nou genle la pou yon bi.”

“Lord,If we are alive today in spite of
hurricanes, hunger and sickness,
we should say, Thank you, Lord.
We must be here for a purpose.”

I'm also going to promote a book that we are planning to order for both Adah and Nathaniel as a way to honor their beautiful heritage. Buying the book supports the Livesays (http://www.livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/) in their ministry to the people of Haiti. Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/283924/?utm_source=badge&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=140x240

Well, I think that's it for my scatterbrain right now. I've run out of time to run on the treadmill, so I need to get to the grocery store to pick up some stuff for our picnic dinner.

Love,
Casey

2 comments:

Krista Photography said...

thanks for checking out my photos! It's wonderful that you were able to adopt from this organization!

Tully Family said...

We've been making plans to go to WV & rent a cabin next year for vacation! Email me and let me know how you liked it and any recommendations on places to stay.

The pics were sobering- makes me both hold onto my littles tighter & pray for those who children so far away!