Dear All-
Is it just me, or is moving in exhausting? :) I think it's because we're getting older, we have more kids than when we started moving, and as a consequence, we have more STUFF. Also, our standards haven't changed with regard to HOW we put everything together in the house (that's the royal "we," by which I mean Daniel.) He still measures and uses the level to put up pictures, so it takes awhile. :) But we see the light at the end of the tunnel. He put up the ceiling fans on Monday with minimal help from me, and we are waiting on two chairs that we ordered for the study to come in. And then I THINK we're completely done, or at least until the next project comes up.
We had a great celebration for Independence Day, and I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures. We read some books about the day, made flags to hang everywhere, had some friends over, grilled hotdogs and hamburgers, had red,white, and blue popsicles, and met some more neighbors when we went to the cul-de-sac across the street to investigate fireworks noises. Then the kids had a camp-out on the family room floor, and I put on a video for them thinking it might help them settle down after a big day. BIG mistake. I went in at ELEVEN O'CLOCK to check on them and they were ALL still awake. Yikes. We didn't get out of our jammies the next day until it was time to go to our next social event - dinner at a friend's house. :)
So we're continuing along on summer break right now, and it's been very refreshing for me and I think for the kids as well. We've been doing some sewing and art projects. I'm preparing for next year's school and smelling all the new curricula. We're studying the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation for history. How do I get all that into one year? It's my favorite period of history! Next week we get to do the back-to-school shopping. I love new pencils. :) Our neighbor Oscar has started the kids on a garden project where they each adopt one of his vegetable plants, chart its progress, and harvest the bounty when the time comes. Shiloh picked the bean plant, so she'll be harvesting some today. She figured I might make them eat what they harvested, so there was no way she was picking squash. :) Jackson picked tomatoes, and he's thrilled to see all the flowers on his plant. Our neighbors are awesome. I joked with Oscar that he wanted to do this project to have the kids weed for him, and he said that works for him. :) He's in his late seventies, maybe early eighties, and he gardens with a pith helmet on. He also has a cool accent, saying "peppahs" for peppers. His wife Mary Rose already made us some cucumber soup from the cucumbers in her garden.
Before I go get ready for the day, here's an Abigail story. I was on the treadmill yesterday and saw Abigail twittering about, going in and out of the house. She looked pretty excited, so when she came out with her little pink plastic trash can and a Tupperware, I was a little curious.
Me; "Abigail, what are you doing?"
Abigail (excitedly): "I'm going to catch that chipmunk, Mommy! He's pretty fast, but I got a trash can and I think I can get him in there!"
I was pretty sure she couldn't actually catch him, but even if there is the slightest doubt, I say err on the side of caution and give the talk about rabies and the big shot you would have to get if the cute little chipmunk bit you. :) She gave up her adventure to catch a chipmunk and settled for some beetles.
Love,
Casey
p.s. Julie - Adah LOVES the video and attempted to do one for Beverly yesterday, but there was too much background noise (i.e. Nathaniel wanted to do the video, too). We'll get to it soon.
p.p.s. For those who can commiserate with me, we will be doing the "pooper-scooping" today for testing again. We had Adah and Nathaniel tested when they first got home and they tested negative for any parasites. However, after giving it much time, Nathaniel continues to have some...shall we say...odiferous problems, and we want to make sure. We will be testing every day for three days. Adah seems fine, but we might as well test her while we're testing Nathaniel. Ugh. Adah is grossed out by the whole thing, so the toughest thing will be getting her to agree to help out and do her part. :) At least she understands a lot more now...you should have seen the looks we got when we first tested within a week of her being home!! This is how I interpreted that look: "You white people are crazy, and I think I want to go back to Haiti now."
Wednesday, July 09, 2008
Summer
Posted by Casey at 3:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm with ya on the history- I was trying to plan yesterday and I realized that, in my eagerness, I might have ordered WAY too many books from Veritas for this time period. I know Patricia and I will read them all (in fact, Patricia will be begging for more!) but I am not going to be able to read all that I got to the boys. Good thing they will do this time period again!
Oh, to have such neighbors! What a blessing! Patricia wants to learn more about plants and growing things, so I think we will make this a focus of gifts for her birthday in August. Hopefully, she will be better at it than mama. LOL
Thanks for grossing me out! Done the "pooper-scooping" for one child. Not fun, not fun, not fun!
Trae has had that 'smell' ever since he came home, over 3 years ago now. It is built into him.
I love the history plan, man if only I were organized.
Good luck with the poop-scoop. Our children have to think we are absolutely nuts, well maybe we are!
ange
I had to arrange for both of the kids to have bowel movements at their International Adoption Clinic appointment. Since we were there for 4 hours, both kids cooperated. When I told Beverly she had to go in the "hat" in the toilet because the docte vle gade ou toilette(wants to look at your toilette), I got the same look Adah gave you. David thought it was cool though. In fact the next time I took him to the bathroom he wanted me to use another hat.
We were supposed to do the Renaissance/Reformation and Revolution for history last year because Marissa wanted to finish her 12th grade requirements before the end of 11th grade and go to the local technical college during her senior year. I am not sure I am going to let her do that now. I don't know if it will be a good idea for her to develop peer relationships with young men and women who have graduated from high school and for the most part are living in apartments when she is still 17 and living at home. I will need to spend a lot of time praying... oh, for the wisdom of Solomon.
Post a Comment